Friday, May 12, 2006

Unlucky Lottery Winners

MSN Money - 8 lottery winners who lost their millions

Here's a story about how one's relationship with money can be very destructive regardless of how much money one has. This is a sad story about 8 lottery winners that wound up being broke even after winning millions.

I'm convinced that the ability to have money is really not a function of how much one has. It really is related to what you see money doing for you. If you believe that the function of money is to buy everything your heart desires, you'll have all of your desires but no money. If, on the other hand, you believe money should work for you and create a future of financial independence, then that's what you'll have. The bottom line for most of us is that you can't spend it and have it too.

Unfortunately, for some people, coming into a bunch of money is just like having more rope to hang themselves.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg L said...

I see people who are making decent money who still exhibit behaviors inimical to their financial well being. They could never have enough money mainly because their appetite for things knows no limit.

I think it's the mindset that causes these sorts of things. Of course, we live in a society that places a lot of value on the outward possession of "things" and promtes the iidea that we're not "successful" until we have all the trappings.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Greg L said...

I don't play the lottery except when it gets pretty big once or twice a year. I guess I realize the odds are against me, so why waste the money. But if I ever did win, I'd wouldn't want to be in the newspaper holding an oversized check.

I'd set up a trust and send my lawyer to claim the money on behalf of the trust thereby eliminating many headaches by preserving my anonymity. I'd help whoever I'd want to help anonymously and after that just kick back a bit. I'd probably still work, but would have a entirely different perspective. It's an altogether different ballgame if one is working because he wants to rather than working because he has to:-)

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home